Personal Watercraft Certificate
Personal Watercraft Certificate – RYA Qualification.
Train and gain your RYA, Personal Watercraft Proficiency Certificate here in Torbay.
This course is certified through Torquay Water Sports.
Personal Watercraft Certificate - RYA
Learn and gain an RYA certificate showing that you have all the basic skills required to be safe and confident on the water.
Personal Watercraft (PWC’s) are versatile, fun and exhilarating. Knowing the limitations of your craft is strongly recommended.
The course comprises of practical handling skills on the water and some theory on dry land. By the end of the course you will have the knowledge of how to be a safe and competent rider.
The use of one of our Yamaha PWCs, fuel, certificate and handbook are included.
For those using their own PCW a discounted rate is available – £195. Discuss this option with Torquay Water Sports on booking.
Courses are run in small groups ensuring you have plenty of time with the instructor.
Course certified through Torquay Water Sports.
About The Course
- PWC Hire
- 1 Day: 09:30 – 17:30
- Max 6 Persons per group
Difficulty: Beginners to experience
- Launch and Recovery
- Safety equipment onboard
- Departure checks and basic care
- Weather and tides
- Charts, navigation and understanding your local area
- Berthing in marinas, mooring on buoys and close quarter handling
- High speed manoeuvres and handling skills
- Decision making
- Person over board recovery and capsize recovery
- Planning a trip and using electronic navigation
- Collision regulations
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is the licence valid?
Your licence will be registered with the RYA so there is always a record, there is no revalidation required.
Can I hire a PWC using the licence?
Yes, but in Europe you are best getting the International Certificate of Competence (ICC). This is just a paperwork exercise with your proficiency licence. There is an additional fee of £52 and remember to bring an extra passport photo with you for this certificate.
Why is it a good idea to do the course?
Increasingly the certificate is required for launching in UK harbours. Some harbours are offering discounts for those who have passed this course. Some insurance companies are also offering discounts when you have completed the course.
What is the minimum age?
The minimum age is 12. 12-17 must be accompanied by an adult on the course.
What To Bring
- Passport Photo for the certificate
- Lunch money or packed lunch, there are plenty of local places to get a bite
- Swimming costume, shorts and t-shirts or a wetsuit if you have one
- Sunglasses with retainers can be useful against spray
- Sun block on those sunny days
Daily: 9:30, 12:30 & 3:30
Sunset Safaris Sun, Mon & Tue